Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Car Seat Canopy

Yesterday, I spent a couple of hours making a car seat canopy for a friend who is going to have a boy. This is the second one I have made and it definitely went faster the second time. I am so happy about the cute fabric that I found at Hobby Lobby.

Supply List:

  • 1 yard + 4 inches of two coordinating fabrics (2 yards 8 inches total)
  • thread
  • 4 buttons (for decoration)
  • about 6 inches of velcro

Of course, I washed the fabric before beginning to avoid potential shrinking in the future. I cut 4 inches off of the longest edge of the fabric and ensured that each piece measured 35"x42". Then I ironed it out and rounded the corners with the fabric front to front so that the shape of each piece of fabric would be identical.


I pinned around the whole thing so that the fabric wouldn't slide as I sewed it.

\

Then I sewed around the entire thing, leaving a few inches open so I could turn it inside out. After turning it inside out, I ironed it again and sewed around the outer edges - a little less than 1/4" seam.


I made the handles by sewing two 4"x9" pieces of fabric together. They should be positioned about 12 inches from the back of the pattern and about 19 inches from the sides. It is best if they are about 5 1/2 inches apart (leaving space for the handle). I sewed the velcro on so the handles would close around the handle of the car seat and added the buttons as a decoration.


I sewed the front corners up so they wouldn't drag on the ground and added buttons there as well.



Here is the finished car seat canopy. I really like how it turned out.







No comments: