Thursday, August 2, 2012

Don't Be a Crafting Hoarder

Card Making on a Budget Tip #1

Frugality is more than just saving money. It is also recognizing that you don't need all of the newest, coolest stuff in order to be happy. Even though it is tempting to run out and buy all of the gadgets, stamps, ribbons, paper, and embellishments that will make my cards look great, I constantly have to remind myself that I don't need all of those things, nor do I have the money to buy them.

Even in the short time that I have been crafting, I have acquired a pretty solid stash of supplies. At first, buying scrapbooking stuff was one of my favorite things to do. Then, I realized that I was buying lots of things that were cute, but that I might never use....

Now that I have a little bit more experience, I realize that there are some things that are important to have on hand for card making, while others are better to purchase as the need arises. For example, I would consider it important to have a good paper trimmer, scissors, and adhesives. I also think it is worth the investment to have a variety of different solid colored papers on hand. I have been pretty conservative with purchasing other tools, punches and stamps because I know I can cut out a lot of things by hand or print them off of the computer. I like to wait until I firmly establish that I will use a tool often before I purchase it


That is my first tip for keeping your card making budget in check. If you, like me, are always tempted to sneak off to the craft store and buy new paper and embellishments (letter stickers are my weakness), remind yourself that you don't want to be one of those old ladies who has rooms full of unused crafting stuff (or fabric) that is decades old and out of style.

No comments: