Thursday, August 30, 2012

Save (and Use!) your Scraps

Crafting on a Budget Tip #4

One thing that many of the most dedicated crafters do is that they save their scraps. When I started my first scrapbook, I decided that I would save all of my scraps. I used three different sized plastic bags and separated my extra paper according to size. But, guess what: a year later I still had all of the same scraps. I hadn't saved any money yet!

So, just a few weeks ago I went through all of my scrap paper again. I threw away a lot of it and only kept scraps that were actually big enough to use. Then, I used some of the scraps! I need to do the same with the scrap fabric that I have around here.

Maybe it seems ridiculous that I would go so long without using a single scrap, but I get so excited to use my new paper that it doesn't even occur to me to check the scrap bag. Really, it is only worth saving your scraps if you make a point to pull them back out and use them in projects. Maybe make up a filing system so you don't have to go through every single scrap to see if you have one in a certain color. Whatever you do, make sure that you use those pieces of paper, ribbons, fabric, and other supplies!

No comments: