Thursday, August 9, 2012

Never Pay Full Price

Crafting on a Budget Tip #2

One of the reasons that I was hesitant to start doing craft projects is that it can be such an expensive hobby. I could hardly believe that people would actually buy a single piece of paper for up to $1.99 and embellishments for $4.99 or more. Buttons, ribbons, adhesive - the list of expenses goes on and on! Even sewing your own clothes and accessories can be as expensive (and much more time consuming) than purchasing them at a retail store!

This single tip has probably saved me hundreds of dollars already. When you shop at any of the major craft stores - including Hobby Lobby, JoAnn Fabric and Crafts, and Michaels - they pretty much always have a standing 40% off coupon. You can easily find it online and print it, or find it and show it to the cashier right on your smart phone. Craft stores also have TONS of great sales every week. If I see something that I like, I usually only have to wait another week or two until it goes on sale for 40 or 50% off of the regular price. Even if I see a "buy one get one half off" sale, I don't buy it because I know I can get the same item for less.

Although this isn't the case with all of the specialty scrapbooking stores, they are also starting to do "members only" coupons or special deals for people who "like" them on facebook.

By shopping sales and using the 40% off coupon at craft stores, you can get practically everything that you need - and spend about half as much as you would otherwise. It's way cheaper than shopping for craft supplies at Walmart and there is a way bigger variety.

No comments: